Herbal remedies for dandruff
Dandruff simply means the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. Dandruff is often caused by constant exposure to extreme heat and cold. Dandruff is a normal scalp condition affecting nearly half of the population during the pre-pubertal age. It equally cut across gender and ethnicity barriers. In certain societies dandruff is considered as aesthetically distressing. It frequently causes itching. It is a proven fact that keratinocytes play a fundamental role in the expression and generation of immunological reactions during formation of dandruff. The seriousness of dandruff may alternate with the season as it usually becomes worse during winter. Normally dandruff occurs as a result of skin cells trying to renew themselves and the shedding of the old cells, thus giving rise to irritating white flakes. Certain individuals tend to generate and discard skin cells at a quicker rate than others.
Dandruff may as a result of illness, hormonal disorders, trauma, improper diet (specifically the eating of carbohydrates and sugar), and nutrient deficiencies like essential fatty acids- Complex Vitamins, and selenium. There is no known cure for Dandruff, one can only minimize and manage the condition with some powerful herbal remedies. Dandruff is always an embarrassing condition because it is very obvious, and very prickly and sore if not treated quickly.
Factors causing flaky and itchy skin are:
- Dry skin (although flakes from dry skin are usually smaller and fewer oily than the ones caused by dandruff)
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Hormonal fluctuations; stress; neurological disorders (for example Parkinson’s disease); a compromised immune system; individuals recuperating from a stroke or heart attack, irregular shampooing and extra sensitivity to the fungus that may ginger the development of dandruff may make an individual more prone to the condition.
- Cradle cap (mostly widespread in newborns)
- Contact dermatitis
- Other contributing factors such as age (Dandruff generally starts in young adulthood and continues all through the middle age) and gender (men have dandruff than women because men have bigger sebaceous glands that produce oil known as sebum).
- Apply flaxseed oil, primrose oil or salmon oil, they help ease itching and inflammation. They also encourage healthy skin and scalp.
- Blend two portions of Asteraceae leaves juice and 1 portion of sesame seed oil. Heat the mixture together and then filter the oil; to become a high-quality mixture. Apply the oil on your scalp and Massage your scalp thoroughly. Then permit the oil to stay for a period of 2 to 3 hours. This approach will help to remove dandruff absolutely.
- Continue to mix water with the pulp extracted from Balanites Aegyptiaca fruit until foam appear. Apply the resulting mixture to hair scalp and wash your hair after some time. This also removes dandruff correctly.
- Fenugreek paste applied on the scalp just one hour before having bath helps to surmount Dandruff problem.
- Massaging the scalp with lemon juice for an hour before having bath helps to trounce Dandruff.
- Sour curd applied on the scalp ten minutes prior to taking bath helps to eliminate Dandruff.
- Soap nut when used for washing hair bring relief from Dandruff.
- Indian gooseberries paste when applied on the scalp before going to the bathroom bring succor from Dandruff.
- Hibiscus leaves boiled in a little amount of water and used in conjunction with Shikaki as a hair wash as an alternative to soap and shampoo aid in reducing the menace of Dandruff. This is a complete herbal hair conditioner.
- Gram flour combined with curd and applied on the scalp before taking bath helps to get rid of Dandruff.
- Beetroot leaves when boiled and used for washing hairs helps to remove Dandruff.
- Neem paste blended with Basil paste used on the scalp helps to eradicate Dandruff.
- Apply ground pigeon pea on the scalp before going for bath helps to do away with Dandruff.
- Crushed raw papaya paste should be applied on the scalp ten minutes before heading to the bathroom. This is very helpful. This process helps in the exfoliation of dandruff flakes and prevents fungal growth. Papaya contains an enzyme known as papain which is extremely useful in reducing dandruff and hair fall condition.
- Bring fresh Neem leaves to boil in water for 1/2 hour. Sieve the liquid and allow it to cool; then apply the juice on hair and soak for ten minutes. Wash it off while bathing.
- Taking kelp does improve the hair growth and heal the scalp.
- Use Vitamin B complex plus extra Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12, all the B vitamins are essential to have a healthy skin and hair.
- Selenium is a powerful antioxidant
- Herbal conditioner for dandruff.
1 teaspoonful of chamomile flowers.
1 teaspoonful of lavender flowers.
1 teaspoonful of rosemary leaves.
1 tablespoonful of vinegar.
6 drops of sage essential oil.
1 pint of water.
1 teaspoonful of burdock root.
1 teaspoonful of calendula flowers.
Bring your water to boil and add the boiled water to the herbs. Infuse for 20 minutes, then sieved and add vinegar to the mixture. Apply to the scalp every day